My project is going to be my interpretation of how children are sexualized in today society.
As a mother of four children two of which being girls I have noticed the pressures thrust upon them more and more with every passing year. It is incredibly difficult which lines to allow them to cross while my 6 year old like a little bit of lip balm on if she goes to a party or wedding where do we draw the line and at what age.
Parents should surely be parents and guide the children through life no pandering to whims of children who really do not fully understand the consequences of a sexualized world in which we live.
What roll parents play in this just because there is a bra made for an 8 year old should a parent give in to the child who may wish the bra as peer pressure today.
Surely a supply and demand attitude should not be acceptable today, we have major retailers saying that there is a demand so they have to supply and we have parents saying there is a supply so the children are demanding it.
Although I accept sex education is key in our society today with teenage pregnancies at an all time high however it should not be done in a salacious manor somehow encouraging children to look “sexy” or behave in a sexy manor.
Kids today do not have the freedom to just be children.
Pressures especially for young girls to conform to the media stereotypes of how woman today should look.
The female figure now to be thin at times emaciated looking and the use of make up, bras and high heel shoes girls today have to grow up much faster than yester year. While in the past we as young girls tried on her mothers shoes and played with her make up that was a natural progression we all did as children we were not encouraged by the media to grow you and get a bra at the mere age of 8. Girls as young as 7 are getting eating disorders because they are constantly being bombarded with images of “perfect” celebrities and when a celebrity is shot with no make up on or looking normal they are ridiculed thus making it harder for young girls to keep up.
I am going to make a series of pictures describing how girls today are sexualized. Using a young girl to display what society tries to enforce upon girls today how to look how to dress, what make up to wear and even girls as young as 8 being given tips on boyfriends. And evocative reaction at a 6 year old being made up like an adult.
- Ø One of my main aims is to show how ridiculous the media portrayal of young girls as somewhat “sexual”
- Ø While as humans we are sexual beings children should not be exploited.
- Ø show that young girls should be allowed to grow and develop in a natural fashion and not forced to grow up to quickly long gone are the days of playing with dolls and barbies.
- Ø Media portrayal of girls also feeds into this notion magazines giving dating advice make up tips. Major care has to be given
- Ø An army of cloned stick thin orange skinned candy flossed hair girls who thinks its more important to look good than to act good.
Take pictures of a young girl dressed totally inappropriately and add captions about the society into a collage creating different pictures challenging the notions that make up and high heels maketh the girl. Using some of the magazines the promote sexiness to young girls. Making a collage by hand to co inside with the theme that these girls today are fake and made up just as made up as my artwork.
- Ø I will look at magazines read and use the pictures to gather my background information.
- Ø Read articles on the internet and print of pictures to support my argument.
- Ø Look at Cindy Sherman’s work. She poses in totally over the top we see the notion she is fake a parody of how females today are supposed to look.
- Ø Watch tantrums and tiaras a documentary about the beauty pageant culture in America where girls have false teeth, dyed hair, large amounts of make up and even know to have Botox to enhance there looks at time children crying and being posed on stage by the pushy parents.
- Watch the movie LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE about a
Housewife Sheryl Hoover brings her suicidal brother Frank to the breast of her dysfunctional and bankrupted family. Frank is homosexual and expert in Proust, and tried to commit suicide when he was rejected by his boyfriend and his great competitor became renowned and recognized as number one in the field of Proust. Sheryl’s husband Richard is unsuccessfully trying to sell his self-help and self-improvement technique using nine steps to reach success, but he is actually a complete loser. Her son Dwayne has taken a vow of silence as a follower of Nietzsche and aims to be a jet pilot. Dwayne’s grandfather Edwin was sent away from the institution for elders Sunset Manor and is addicted in heroin. When her seven years old daughter Olive has a chance to dispute the Little Miss Sunshine pageant in Redondo Beach, California, the whole family travels together in their old Volkswagen van. The unconventional girl tries to take on the more “beautiful” girls.
6 year old girl.
Clothing eg. Bras, short skirts, high heels stockings.
Cosmetics eg, lipstick, eye shadows, fake tan and hairspray.
Minolta camera with film not digital.
Have the recourses together and ready by 14/05/11
Start to take the pictures of the girl by 21/05/11
Assemble canvases with the pictures by 28/05/11
Add revalent captions together in collage by 04/06/11
Have the final project piece by 17/06/11